The Brewers Association has also just announced the top 50 breweries in the U.S. based on sales, by volume, for 2008. This includes all breweries, regardless of size or other parameters. Here is the 2008 list:
- Anheuser-Busch InBev; St Louis MO
- MillerCoors; Chicago IL
- Pabst Brewing; Woodridge IL
- Boston Beer Co.; Boston MA
- D. G. Yuengling and Son; Pottsville PA
- Sierra Nevada Brewing; Chico CA
- Craft Brewers Alliance (Widmer/Redhook); Portland OR
- New Belgium Brewing; Fort Collins CO
- High Falls Brewing; Rochester NY
- Spoetzl Brewery (Gambrinus); Spoetzl TX
- Pyramid Breweries; Seattle WA
- Deschutes Brewery; Bend OR
- Iron City Brewing (fka Pittsburgh Brewing); Pittsburgh PA
- Minhas Craft Brewery; Monroe WI
- Matt Brewing; Utica NY
- Boulevard Brewing; Kansas City MO
- Full Sail Brewing; Hood River OR
- Magic Hat Brewing Company; South Burlington VT
- Alaskan Brewing; Juneau AK
- Harpoon Brewery; Boston, MA
- Bell’s Brewery; Galesburg MI
- Goose Island Beer; Chicago IL
- Kona Brewing; Kailua-Kona HI
- Anchor Brewing; San Francisco CA
- August Schell Brewing; New Ulm MN
- Shipyard Brewing; Portland ME
- Summit Brewing; Saint Paul MN
- Stone Brewing; Escondido CA
- Mendocino Brewing; Ukiah CA
- Abita Brewing; New Orleans LA
- Brooklyn Brewery; Brooklyn NY
- New Glarus Brewing; New Glarus WI
- Dogfish Head Craft Brewery; Lewes DE
- Long Trail Brewing; Bridgewater Corners VT
- Gordon Biersch Brewing; San Jose CA
- Rogue Ales/Oregon Brewing; Newport OR
- Great Lakes Brewing; Cleveland OH
- Lagunitas Brewing; Petaluma CA
- Firestone Walker Brewing; Paso Robles CA
- SweetWater Brewing; Atlanta GA
- Flying Dog Brewery; Denver CO
- BJs Restaurant & Brewery; Huntington Beach CA
- Rock Bottom Brewery Restaurants; Louisville CO
- Bridgeport Brewing; Portland OR
- Odell Brewing; Fort Collins CO
- Victory Brewing; Downington PA
- Straub Brewery; Saint Mary’s PA
- Cold Spring Brewery; Cold Spring MN
- Mac and Jack’s Brewery; Redmond WA
- Big Sky Brewing; Missoula MT
15 Replies to “Top 50 Breweries in America”
Every one knows that the top beer–by quality, not quantity–is from Oregon, cradle of the microbrew culture.
So it’s Bud then Miller and everybody else. Guess we all knew that.
Hello, does anyone know (besides Redhook and Sam Adams which I know are public) which Microbrews in this list are public companies ?
What a rich palette of beers to choose from! A special thanks to number 6 on the list! They were instrumental in ushering in the new era of American Beer Variety. Cheers to pro-choice and local clinics such as the one in Sao Paolo Brazil which helped a 9 year old girl sentenced to death by her rapist father. Jeers to the Brazilian Catholic Bishop who excommunicated her, her mother, and the clinic physician but not her father! (Check the New York Times article) Think I’ll buy a case of Sierra Nevada!
Jim- Try homebrewtalk.com and pick up Charlie Papazian’s book: The Complete Joy of Homebrewing. Both great sources of information
You know i’m drinking a wheat beer from the boulevard brewery and yes its a good beer but i dont think it should have a better rating then dogfishhead which produces some of the best beers i’ve ever tasted
Minor correction… Flying Dog (#41 in list) is now brewed in Frederick MD.
I need a brewery that can make a craft beer in a can, preferably in Florida…
My initial run budget is 220,000 cans 8oz and 12 oz
brent Downtown St Petersburg FL cell 727 565 8775
I am very surprised not to see Stout’s Brewery, Adamstown, PA. What a fantastic line of beers they have.
I’m glad they said “in America” and not American. I don’t consider Anheuser-Busch American. The comment was already made that sales quantity does not in any way, shape or form imply quality. Amen.
I avoid any bud product because when tjey introduce a new product, they shove another fine beer out of the store. With all of their items, the store coolers look like a Bud plant. The last brand that they pushed out was Boulavard. The best wheat beer I have ever tasted.
I could care less about volume numbers – as stated, all that matters is quality & you need to look to microbrews for that.
The Spoetzl Brewery is in Shiner, TX. Spoetzl, TX does not exist.
If Budweiser is the top brewer in the US, then why are they terminating their sponsorship of Kenny Bernstein’s Top Fuel Dragster after this season?
I would have put Sand Creek , of Black River Falls, Wisconsin on this list, somewere near the top I think.
Comments are closed.