Legendary British beer writer Roger Protz picks his ten favorite winter ales to warm you up during the holidays. To be fair, one of them is not British, but they’re his ten faves available in England.
- Bateman’s Rosey Nosey
- Shepherd Neame’s Christmas Ale
- Greene King Old Crafty Hen
- Lees Harvest Ale
- Fuller’s Brewer’s Reserve No. 1
- Chiltern Bodgers Barley Wine
- Eggenberg Samichlaus
- Young’s Christmas Pudding Ale
- O’Hanlon’s Thomas Hardy’s Ale
- Spingo Ales’ Blue Anchor Christmas Special
Protz’s Number 1: Bateman’s Rosey Nosey, which he describes as follows.
Warming, rich, malty beer with a good, solid underpinning of spicy hops and the typical ripe fruit signature of all Bateman’s ales that come from a family-owned brewery in Lincolnshire.