Mar 24, 2023
Visit the Real Beer Library and browse through original publications, print publications, work by individual authors and more.
This old kegerator
Content provided & sponsored by the Beverage Factory
Build your dream draft machine
What tools will I need? 1/4" Electric Hand Drill
1/8" Drill Bit
1/4" Drill Bit, with long enough shank to reach through the refrigerator walls
1 1/8" Hole Saw
Center Punch or a Nail
Crescent Wrench, large enough to tighten a 1-1/8" lock nut
Step 1: Drill Holes
Using the 1/4" bit, drill through the outer wall and into the inner wall. In this step, it is essential that the drill and the bit be held exactly horizontal to the floor, otherwise the faucet and shank will not be level.
Next, drill the outer wall within the 1-1/8" hole saw, and then drill the inside wall to establish a 1-1/8" hole through the refrigerator.
From the centerline of the faucet hole, measure down approximately 10" and draw a line parallel to the floor. Center the drip tray (if you purchased one) holder under the faucet and alone the line. Mark the holes in the holder on the outer wall and drill with the 1/8" bit. Attach the holder with two of the sheet metal screws provided.
Step 2: Assemble and Connect Parts Screw the black faucet knob onto the faucet
Attach faucet and shank to refrigerator door.
Attach beer line to shank using a furnished clamp. Attach the other end of beer line with hex nut to keg coupler.
Warning - CO2 Can Be Dangerous! Read more below before connecting CO2 tank.
Fasten the CO2 regulator to the CO2 tank, tightening the CO2 nut securely. Do not over tighten; over tightening may damage washer in stem of regulator
Attach one end of the air hose to the hose barb on the CO2 regulator, using one of the two snap clamps provided. (Use pliers to snap the clamp tight to assure that there is no gas leak.)
Place the CO2 cylinder and regulator inside one of the corners of the refrigerator. It is important that the cylinder be kept in an upright position to operate efficiently, using a chain or heavy cord if a wire rack is not provided.
Fasten the other end of the red airline to the keg coupler using the remaining snap clamp.
Read this before connecting to CO2 tank
1. Always connect CO2 gas cylinder to reducing valve or regulator. Failure to do so could result in an explosion with possible death or inury when the cylinder valve is opened.
2. Never connect gas cylinder directly to keg.
3. Always secure gas cylinder in "upright" position.
4. Always keep gas cylinder away from heat.
5. Never drop or throw CO2 gas cylinder.
6. Always ventilate after CO2 leakage.
7. Always check the D.O.T. (Department of Transport) test date located on the neck of the cylinder before installation. If over five (5) years, do not use, return the gas cylinder to gas supplier.
8. Never connect a product container unless there are two (2) safety mechanism's in the pressure system
One at or on the CO2 regulator. (the regulator supplied should be inclusive of such a safety mechanism)
One at or on the product container coupler or in the pressure gas line. (the keg coupler should be inclusive of such a safety mechanism)
9. If it becomes difficult to breath and your head starts to ache, abnormal concentrations of carbon dioxide may be present in the area. Close the main valve on the CO2 cyclinder and leave the room immediately.
10. Gas cylinders should be stored in the coolest part of the establishment, preferably at 70° F., and securely fastened in the upright position before the primary regulator is attached to the cylinder.
Getting started - Care and maintenance