1/2 tsp. Marmite (optional)
1. Beforehand, prepare the tofu for a more 'meat-like' texture. Press the block repeatedly until all water is expelled. Freeze completely. Thaw. Crumble into small, 'ground-beef' pieces and toss with the soy sauce until thoroughly coated. Set aside.
2. In a large pan, saute the onions in the olive oil over medium heat until slightly browned. Reduce heat, and saute the garlic until fragrant. Add green pepper, and saute for 1 minute.
3. Add tomatoes and all spices. Stir well. Add crumbled tofu and thoroughly coat with mixture. Add beer slowly. Mix in beans, TVP, and corn. Stir well. (The Marmite, derived from brewers' yeast, imparts a 'meaty' flavor. The TVP, or textured vegetable protein, adds a 'ground beef' texture.)
4. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
5. Remove from heat. Refrigerate overnight. Gently reheat portions to be served.
*6. You can omit the chili powder and prepare 4 dried whole New Mexico peppers instead:
Toast the chiles until they're pliable (don't burn them!).
Remove from the heat and cut the stems off with scissors.
Shake out the seeds and use the scissors to pull out the ribs.
Cut into 1-inch pieces and add into the pot.