The Brewers Association has announced that SAVOR: An American Craft Beer & Food Experience will be held June 14-15 in New York City this year.
Washington, D.C. hosted the event the last five years. SAVOR will return to D.C. in 2014, on May 9 and 10.
“Part of our mission as a national, industry association is to promote small and independent craft brewers and their craft brewed beers to audiences around the country,” said Sam Calagione, chair of the Brewers Association’s board of directors. “Moving SAVOR to New York City, the culinary capital of the world, in 2013 is an incredible opportunity to showcase craft beer from a diverse sampling of small U.S. producers who have helped shift the perception of beer from something predictable and homogenized into the dynamic, flavorful, food-friendly beverage it is recognized as today. Craft brewers, beer lovers and foodies who attend SAVOR contribute to a historic localization of beer and a shift in the culinary arts world.”
Tickets go on sale to the public April 17, and association member pre-sale takes place April 16.
Seventy breweries served beer at SAVOR in 2012, paired with food prepared to match the beers. The SAVOR website summarized what attendees could expect:
- Craft beer and food small plate pairings—a variety of food items and two-ounce tastings of craft beer specifically paired to illustrate how well craft beer and food complement one another
- Unlimited non-alcoholic beverages
- Educational and tasting salons. Seating for those is limited and requires purchase of a separate ticket
- A variety of artisan cheese samples provided by members of the American Cheese Society
- A variety of oysters on the half shell provided by The Choptank Oyster Company
- The opportunity to meet and talk with the owners/brewers of the breweries participating in the event
- A commemorative tasting glass
- An event program with room for tasting notes
- An exit gift