Boston Beer Co. has added a pumpkin beer to its Sameul Adams “Harvest Collection,” a mixed pack of beers for the fall. The 12-pack includes two bottles each of Harvest Pumpkin Ale, Octoberfest, Boston Lager, Dunkelweizen, Irish Red and Black Lager. Harvest Pumpkin and Dunkelweizen are available only in the Harvest Collection.
Samuel Adams first pumpkin beer includes 11 pounds of real pumpkin per barrel (a barrel contains 31 gallons) in the recipe, along with some smoked malt and traditional pumpkin pie spices.
Baker Carlene O’Garro of Delectable Desires bakery in South Boston has created Harvest Pumpkin Bread to accompany the beer. O’Garro is a beneficiary of the Samuel Adams Brewing the American Dream program, which provide microloans and business coaching to entrepreneurs in the food and beverage and hospitality industries. The recipe:
Samuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale Bread
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
2 large eggs
1 cup Harvests Pumpkin Ale puree (see below)
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking power
1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
Powdered sugar (for dusting)
1. Preheat over to 350°. Combine the sugar and oil in a mixing bowl using an electric mixer with paddle attachment at medium speed. Slowly add the egg.
2. Stop the mixer and add the harvest Pumpkin ale puree (directions below).
3. Turn mixer to low-medium speed and leave it running for 4-5 minutes. In a separate bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.
4. Stop the mixer and add the dry ingredients. Mix for 1 minute at low speed or until all the ingredients are mixed together.
5. Pour the mixture into a greased 9- by 5-inch loaf pan, leaving room at top of pan for bread to rise.
6. Bake for 60 minutes. Check bread by sticking the center with a knife (when knife comes out clean, remove from oven). If needed, bake for another five to eight minutes or until knife comes out clean.
7. Once the bread has fully cooled, finish with light dusting of powdered sugar.
Pumpkin Puree ingredients
1-15-oz. can pumpkin puree
2/3 granulated sugar
1 bottle Samuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
Combine all the ingredients and stir slowly. Set aside until ready to use.